24 July 2009

Spot the Difference ...

Well, progress seems slow, but we're getting there. Considering I'm doing all the painting myself in between our little holiday forays and doing the 'front of house' thing at Dairy House, perhaps it's not as slow as I imagine.





I've achieved quite a lot today and if there are any males reading the blog and looking at the photos, I know I'm working from the bottom up instead of the top down, but there's method in my apparent madness. I'm painting everything that I can reach easily first, so that when I can reach no higher that will be the time I get a quote from a man-who-can to do the high stuff. Funds don't run to having said man-who-can doing it all. There's a tight budget and until it's finished I'm obviously not getting rent in to cover the rent going out. So ... bottom to top it is!
Actually, I'm seriously considering buying a scaffold tower. It'll be cheaper than paying said man and I can always sell it afterwards, loan it out, or keep it for when other parts of DH need decorating. Could be fun ...

As you can see, the ceiling needs Work with a capital 'W'. There have been leaks in the past, the steel RSJs are rusty in places, and the concrete ceiling needs considerable tlc. I would like to paint the RSJs the same sage green that we used for the others, which matches the exterior paintwork. It will make all the difference, I'm sure.



An interesting array of water pipes at ceiling height. Nothing I can do about those apart from vacuum the dust off them. They're covered in black or blue sponge insulation stuff ... lovely! Perhaps no-one will notice when there are lots of goodies to see at ground level!

Still room for improvement, but I'd like to think that the middle of August or beginning of September at the very latest should see The Cheese Room open for business! I've let all the available space, so I really am itching to get it finished.
***
Meanwhile, we had another little holiday but I didn't take my camera out of my bag the whole time! We left Dairy House last Sunday afternoon and drove to the (needs must) Billingshurst Travelodge this time. Monday saw us baking in Brighton, doing a little shopping and wandering through The Lanes, and on Tuesday morning we set off bright and early to shop till we dropped at Ardingly Antiques Fair. Poor Pauley managed most of the morning, but had to succumb to Sudoku and his book until I was ready to leave soon after 3.30. It was another scorching day, although it apparently rained all day in Dorset and Somerset. We drove home through rain, but by the time we got back, after a very slow journey, the sun was shining here, too.
I bought well (I think) and at the appointed hour met Lois and her sister for a cuppa before setting off home. This was the first time we'd met although I've bought from Lois's eBay shop for several years, and she's bought from me. It was great to chat face-to-face instead of by email, and we spent a jolly hour or so chatting and buying and discussing!!
So ... one more 'fortnight's holiday' next weekend when we travel down to Cornwall to the Homespun Fair organised by Jane and Christine (see the lovely photographic link on the sidebar), and then it's back to painting with a vengeance. Whilst we're in Cornwall I'm going to meet up with an old school friend who I haven't seen since 1966!!! She contacted me through FriendsReunited just a few weeks ago, and as she lives in St Ives it seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. Serendipity at work! We're hoping to meet up for a cream tea and a 43-year catch-up!!!!! Pauley's going to love it, isn't he!!
Have a lovely weekend, one and all. Judging by the fraught mothers and noisy children passing through Dairy House it seems that the schools have well and truly broken up for the summer. May your days be filled with fun and laughter, not screams and fights!!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to look great with that lovely floor. It sounds like you have an interesting time with all your travels. I'm going to check out the Homespun Fair link, sounds really good, I just wish I was going to Cornwall.
Adele

Sammy Girl said...

Just a word of encouragement on the additional space for DH. It will soon be together and the spaces will be filled with merchandise and customers.
Have a good weekend!
Betty :)

Clare said...

It looks really exciting I'm sure it will look brilliant. I hoping to pop down to see you soon as I've got a commission and need to see if you have a particular colour millinery flower!The customer is very particular!!

Sal said...

I know what you mean about painting high up things..I missed a bit on the top of the dresser the other day as I couldn't reach... and I thought it would not matter as I couldn't see it..but 'you know who' came along and could easily see it!

Ah well..we try our best eh?!
;-)

Annie said...

Looks like you are making good progress, the floor is great. Hopefully I will get the chance to come down and see it once it is all finished.I am very jealous of your trip to Cornwall to the Homespun Fair the pictures of the sea look so inviting.

Shammickite said...

Nice to see the progress in the Cheese Room, you're doing a great job, especially with the painting. Once the place is full of terrific things to buy, nobody is going to be craning their necks looking at the ceiling.

THISNTHAT said...

It's coming along nicely! Thanks for sharing news of your progress! Just wish I could find more space for my shop ... in my head lurks a large department store and in reality it's a very small (and very full) corner shop!
Lesley XX

Country Cottage Chic said...

It's looking better already. I love the floor!

Jayne

Lois said...

It looks fantastic, and I paint using the same method, female logic!!! I will look forward to seeing the progress when i finally find time to pay you a visit... xx

Tamsyn said...

It's looking great, very exciting :) Have a lovely time in Cornwall the Homespun Fair looks lovely. x

Shabby Chick said...

Unfortunately it's mostly screaming and fights here!!!

Looks like there's going to be a great transformation taking place there :)

Mel xxx

Linda said...

Your blog is always brilliant. my you are working hard and it is looking good.
My friend Eileen came with friend Vi yesterday and rummaged. Vi had been to see you at The Dairy, she was full of compliments all of which I had to agree on ! xx

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

I think you win the Blue Peter badge for being so industrious and athletic... It is beginning to look like a very attractive space.. don't fill it too much though, you have to be able to admire your paintwork!!

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday at the Home Spun...

Michele xx

virginia bed and breakfast said...

It looks very beautiful specially floor, you are making very nice.