30 October 2009

Words to live by ...

I'm displacing again, and doing some computer housekeeping. It seemed like a good idea at the time ...

I found the following, entitled 'Words to live by' filed away in 'My Documents'. Not sure when I received it, nor from whom, but thanks to whoever it was. I don't think I've breached copyright by blogging it - it was probably extracted from one of those silly round robin things that we all receive from well-meaning friends from time to time!!! Some are a wee bit silly, but a couple of them may cause a smile!

Accept that some days you're the pigeon,
and some days you're the statue.

Always keep your words soft and sweet,
just in case you have to eat them.

If you can't be kind, at least have the
decency to be vague.

Never put both feet in your mouth at the
same time, because then you don’t
have a leg to stand on.

Ever notice that the people who are late
are often much jollier than the people
who have to wait for them?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't
more people happy?

You may be only one person in the world,
but you may also be the world to one person.

Some mistakes are too much fun
to only make once.

Don't cry because it's over;
smile because it happened.

We could learn a lot from crayons:
some are sharp, some are pretty, some
are dull, some have weird names, and
all are different colors but they all
have to learn to live in the same box.

A truly happy person is one who can
enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Happiness comes through doors you
didn't even know you left open.

Did I ever show you these photos? I'm guessing 1956 and 1960 but can't be certain! Long enough ago for it not to matter, even if it does seem like yesterday ...




After that little reminisce it's time to get on with what I was supposed to be doing before I got sidetracked ... sorting out the office in order to move around some furniture. I have to say I've more or less wasted my day off. It's been relaxing, but there was so much I needed to get done today ... including scrambling into the shed/studio while the weather was fine to find some specific items for the Vintage and Handmade Fair in two weeks' time. I think today was the last fine day, so the things I had in mind might just have to wait until the next V&H in May 2010

I've been itching to do some sewing again but until the office is sorted, and I have found a new home for my sewing machine, I'll have to contain myself. However, I finally picked up a crochet hook the other day, after popping along to the new bead/stitch shop at Semley which sells Debbie Bliss and Rowan yarns among other things. The shop is housed in a beatifully-converted barn and is less than a mile from Dairy House. I notice on their website that as well as their usual Monday-Saturday opening they are open this Sunday, 1 November. I'm not sure if this is a new thing for every Sunday or a one-off. Maybe they're going to see what Sunday opening is like in the run up to Christmas. If Sunday visitors to Dairy House are anything to go by I imagine it will certainly be worth their while. Yesterday in a quiet couple of hours at the end of the day a friend came to spend some time with me at Dairy House so that I could teach her to crochet! We have such plans ... I'm not sure that they'll come to fruition this side of Christmas, but there's always next year ... it'll be such fun to be creative again

Have a jolly weekend, one and all. I imagine it will be trick or treat for many. Not for me though, thank you very much!

10 comments:

Clare said...

Love those photos!! I'm in the process of learning how to crochet so now I have an excuse to visit dairy house again and the wool place nearby!!Not that I ever really need an excuse.....

Marmalade Yarns said...

thanks for your comment, Ive not been doing much on the computer recently, been desperately knitting up samples of new yarn! christmas knitting for family is way down the list! hope to popby soon to see you. after half term which seems to be forever this time. lol maxine.

Tamsyn said...

love those words :) and the photo's glad to hear you are crocheting..that means you have to sit down for minute lol!
I'm liking my new office/workspace it is so worth it once it's sorted..not sure how long it will stay neat though. x

Sal said...

I love those photos!!
Looking forward to seeing you soon at the fair!
;-)

BusyLizzie said...

great photos Sue, we are obviously going through the same "sorting" process at the moment. I was delighted to find that old nursing photo the other day. I hadn't seen it for years. Just wish I had "found" it before I went to the reunion & not after! Liz xxx

OhSoVintage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OhSoVintage said...

Hi Sue
I posted all but two of these on my blog ages ago as I love them especially the first!
Ruth x

The fabric of my life said...

Oooooh how exciting, your getting hooky again. I am so enjoying my crochet at the moment.

Are you coming to Ilminster on Weds? I might need you to bring me a blanket spotted on your blog!

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Sue,
Loved the 'words to live by' and also the photos - you haven't changed a bit...apart from perhaps your dress-sense! ;-))

Heard on the local TV news recently that the councillors for Semley all (but 3) resigned due to the words of an out-spoken Blogger!

Happy sorting, you never know what you might find next,
Niki x

Niki Fretwell said...

Oooops!! Trust me! ;-))
That was 'Somerton' councillors, NOT Semley's!! (Sorry Semley!)
Niki x
(You know I have a bee in my bonnet at the moment when it comes to local councils!! ;-))