25 August 2011

Countdown ... He's Coming Home ...

Thank you all for the wonderful messages and emails, texts, Tweets, FB comments, blog comments, phone calls, face-to-face contact and general loveliness over the last 19 weeks. You'll never know just how much you've all kept me going whilst Pauley's been in hospital.

And finally, on Tuesday, he's coming home ... after 20 weeks (bar 2 days). That's almost FIVE MONTHS!  After the awful 13 weeks in Yeovil Hospital he moved to St Mark's Hospital in Harrow on 13 July and began to improve from day one. Having lost so much weight he weighed just under 8 stone, he is now, thankfully almost at his target weight of 10st 7lbs. This is due to the nutrition mentioned in the last post, which will continue once Pauley gets home. He will be 'hooked up' to it every night for 12 hours for as long as it takes. It may be for life, or it may just be for a few months, or somewhere inbetween. Only time will tell us the answer to that one.

A fridge is being delivered tomorrow for the nutrition bags to be stored (they're delivered in weekly or fortnightly quantities), together with all the other required apparatus. Then on Tuesday the first batch will be delivered before Pauley arrives home. He should arrive early-mid afternoon and initially a nurse will come in every evening and morning until we're both proficient at the sterile connecting and disconnecting of the line for the bags. Once we pass that test she'll come once a week as I understand it.

Life is going to be very different both initially, while Pauley gets used to the outside world once again and I get used to having someone else in the house after all that time on my own(!!), and also long-term once we adjust to the (albeit minimal) constraints. He eats and drinks normally, but very little nutrition is actually absorbed, but there are a number of no-go foods and drinks. Low fibre, high fat, plenty of salt; full-fat milk, nothing fizzy. So, definitely no beans of any sort, no broccoli stalks, no potato or fruit skins for starters!


But we have ... LIFE ... and for that I am exceedingly grateful ... and having had time to take stock over the last few months I think we both realise that life is for living, not for racing from pillar to post, chasing tails and worrying that we're not achieving, but for enjoying each other's company and taking time to smell the roses ...

Sue x

13 comments:

WinnibriggsHouse said...

I really don't know how I have missed your last few posts and so am very late in sending my heartfelt wishes that Pauley's homecoming will continue with his recovery and allow you to regain some of your former life together. I am sure your strong support will aid that recovery.
Kindest Regards Jenny

l.wilks11 said...

So very glad your husband is coming home. Im sure you will cope fine with his feeds. I looked after young people for 25 years, who like your hubby were fed this way and they were able to live a fairly normal life. Its suprising how strong you can be when faced with something clearly out of the box.I agree with you life is for living so live it to the full. You just don't know whats around the corner....xx

Ticking stripes said...

So pleased for you Sue. It must have been difficult for both of you. And now another period of adapting. But as you say these things have a habit of making us look at our lot more closely and examining what's important. Hopefully there are now going to be plenty of roses for smelling...

Niki Fretwell said...

Wonderful, wonderful news Sue! I am so pleased for you both...and finally you really will be taking time to smell the roses - About time! - I've always said you do too much! ;-))
Life is precious - Enjoy it!
Love to you both,
Niki xxx

A Mermaid's Tale said...

That's such great news Sue! I'm sure Pauley's recovery will speed up even more from being at home, because there really isn't anywhere quite like home! I know there is still a lot of adjustment in both of your lives to come; I know when my Dad came out of hospital after six months following a serious stroke he was still totally reliant on Mum and I to do everything for him, even to sit up in bed. We likened it to having an adult sized baby in the house, dependant on us for his every need. It was hard both mentally and physically to cope with his condition, but like you we just rejoiced in the fact that he was still alive! I'm glad that you've received such support from your online friends. It's important to know that you can share life's burdens as well as life's joys. Thinking of you both.
Christine x

Lesley said...

I don't know you or your husband, but your story left me deeply touched. I hope with all my heart that things go well for you both. Will you please accept my best wishes. Blessings

landcuckoo said...

That is wonderful news, so pleased for you that Pauley is able to be heading homeward. I wish both of you all the best with continued recovery and progress.
Take care
Sarah x

OhSoVintage said...

So pleased to read this wonderful news, Sue. xx

Shammickite said...

I'm so happy for you.
And I'm happy for Pauley. I'm sure that being home will be "just what the doctor ordered"!
Hugs from canada.

galant said...

Like Jenny of Winnibriggs House, I too have missed your postings, and I'm delighted that Pauley is coming home. Being home should speed his recovery, there's nothing like being at home after illness, don't I know it (I've had breast cancer, husband has had heart by-pass surgery, so we understand your worries, but it must have been so much worse as he was away from home for such a long time.) All the best from us here, and I have to say that had be gone to our local hospital, Torbay Hospital, he would've had wonderful treatment. I can't speak too highly of the treatment I have had.
Margaret P

Alchamillamolly said...

Hello there Sue and Pauley too! I am so glad to hear he is nearly home with you at last, it has been a long time for you both. You have to think of yourself as well Sue and make sure you get some rest you must be physically and mentally exhausted. So here is to a lovely late summer (!!) and a kind autumn ahead with your little house complete with you both.

LinenandRoses said...

I'm rather late in reading this so am assuming that by now he is home safe and sound. So happy for you both that he has done so well and is back at home. Wishing him a continued good recovery and hoping you are enjoying being back together again. Fiona x

Shammickite said...

Is your dear hubby home as promised? Hope all is well.