08 August 2009

Portscatho and the Home Spun Fair

This was our first view of the sea at 8.00 am on Sunday morning. Beautiful ... and what a great start to the day.


This photo was taken within the first half-hour of opening the doors. It just got busier as the day progressed, and this was the only time I had a chance to take my camera out of my bag. I took a few similar shots but this gives you an idea of what we had in store for the rest of the day. Michele (Cowboys and Custard) was in the far corner to the right of the door. Viv (Hens Teeth) was just under the stage so I got to chat to her when time permitted. Clare (Daisy Darling) was on the stage along with a few others, so from time to time we were able to grin at one another through the crowds!


My table was up on the stage with a great view of everything going on. I can't show you how it was laid out because these lovely customers were all in the way!!
But at least I can show you 'Ted' with his jaunty hat. He came home again with me. He needs a good home and although his eyes are a little wonky, he does still have his sight and, what's more, his growl (which to me sounds rather more like a lamb!!). He's quite tall, although I haven't measured him as yet. Let me know if you think you might like him to share your life.
The patchwork quilt was brought to me at Dairy House a month or so ago and has now gone to a new home. I was pleased with this little vignette, but felt that the rest of my stall never really got set out properly. Still, it didn't seem to matter, as everyone loved rummaging through the fabrics, threads and other goodies, and the car was much emptier when we loaded up at the end of the day.

From the same vantage point (Portscatho carpark) this was our last view of the sea about 6.30 pm before we set off back to our B&B.
What an amazing day from all aspects. The weather was glorious - not like the 4-hour trip down in the rain and our return journey in torrential rain. We stopped off in Lostwithiel to deliver a purchase to a dealer in the town - lovely shop Deja Vu (has a website which I can't remember at this precise moment). We visited some of the other antique shops there before lurching on to Ashburton for a brief stop. It was then a case of let's get home. It was still raining by the time we got back to Somerton - only to find that the rain had only just begun and Mum had been gardening all day!
I've put my name down for another Home Spun next summer!

14 comments:

Linda said...

sooo wanted that quilt log cabin is my favourite! I am short of quilts so let me know when you get more sweetie Linda

Annie said...

Looks like you had a great day. Sorry it was so far away I would have loved to come. Perhaps I can plan a holiday around it next year.
Ann x

Clare said...

Hi you have an award on my blog. Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day, plenty of customers as well.
Adele

BusyLizzie said...

Looks as if you had a fab day.. the teddy is wonderful, but I have no space for him!!!
Lizzie x

hens teeth said...

A memorable day indeed. x

Pear tree cottage! said...

I am sure I have visited you many MANY! moons ago and loved your blog so much I am so happy to now know I will be able to catch up more often visitng you via my dashboard.........I do hope that is ok!

Lee-ann from Australia

MelMel said...

Hello, I've joined as a follower, your blog lokks a real treat, I'll be back later!
:>)

Annie said...

Thanks for your comment about my suitcase. I know what you mean about the fairs being close together. I will see you at the Chipping Sodbury fair as I will be there as a buyer.
Ann x

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Sue,
So glad to hear that 'Home Spun' was such a success.
The location looks idyllic...
I was sorry to have missed it...but France was a good distraction :)
Niki x

Donna Flower said...

I'm so glad that the fair was a success, it looks lovely. Hopefully I'll get to the next one :-)

OhSoVintage said...

Glad to hear it was such a great success. I have visited Deja Vu on 3 occasions (lovely shop). The last time I was in Lostwithiel I fell in love with a table in an antique shop (can't remember the name). It was just beautiful and a snip at £2,500. Unfortunately it wouldn't go in the car as it was 9 ft long! Is it still there?
Ruth x

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

I would love to have attended! Hoping to do so next year. So pleased that the event was a successful one.
Isabelle x

Brabourne Farm said...

Have so enjoyed my first visit to your blog. You live in one of my very favourite parts of the world so I'm very envious! Also, thank you for visiting Brabourne Farm and leaving a lovely comment. Leigh