18 September 2006

What a lovely pair ...


... of eiderdowns! This is a pair of singles which I left a bid on at a chattels auction last week. I was told about them by a friend but didn't get a chance to view. I was guided by the auctioneer, who knows what I like to buy, but when I collected them today I found several small holes or tears on the plain reverse side of each. Consequently they will need repairing, and definitely need washing, before I can offer them for sale, so sadly I won't be taking them to Shepton this weekend. It just goes to show that you should be really sure before you bid. These were a gamble, and not one of my best buys I'm afraid, pretty thought they are.

No photo to show you, but I bought another good jelly mould today. This is a small one (about 4" long and 2½-3" deep) depicting a cob of sweetcorn. It's a 19th century one and looks to be in near perfect condition. After missing out on the copper ones at the weekend I'm happy that I've now acquired one or two more unusual ones.

7 comments:

Clare and Mike said...

They're still a pretty pair Sue! But then I'm easily swayed by a nice eiderdown!

Niki Fretwell said...

It's always a bonus to have a pair!
Sew some bright floral patches of fabric on the holes and this will be an added selling point!!- I have customers who love patches!!
Niki.x

Vintage to Victorian said...

Thanks for your comments girls! Kelly, if you're serious then email me, otherwise I think I might go down Niki's route - why didn't I think of that????? Clare - I have just THE one for you, at last!

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Sue....
I’m really pleased to have found your blog. I’m an avid car booter and collector of items from the Vintage to Victorian era too, the only pity is that car boot sales here just aren’t the likes of the ones we enjoyed when we lived in the Cotswolds. Still, I guess we can’t have everything and if truth be told, I am very quickly running out of space at home now, so I have to be quite selective with my purchases.

I love the pictures of your kitchenalia and the eiderdowns are simply gorgeous, such a pity about the damage, but I agree with Niki, patches look cool. Marion.

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Marion - What lovely comments, thank you. I've had a look at your blog, which reminded me of super holidays in Wales in the 1950s. We used to go to the Lleyn Peninsula, but prior to that always stayed with my mother's aunt in Aberporth.

I have plenty of fabric so I'm sure I'll find something suitable for the patches!
Sue

Ms Charity Case said...

Hello there! I am also new to blogging and was directed here fom Niki's site ( which is great)I have enjoyed looking at your blog.The eiderdowns look lovely, sorry to hear they have to be repaired, Niki's idea about patches sounds like a good one. I think it will add character.

Anonymous said...

I just love the fabrics on the eiderdowns I see in England. I wish they had such things in the USA.