28 April 2007

7 Days and 15 Minutes ...

... and I'll be setting off in my finery!!

I've been sitting here for the last couple of hours printing off the Order of Service, and have just realised I've wasted all that shoe practising time. So I popped off to put them on. Ouch! I still need to wear them A LOT before next Saturday.

I was hoping to post some photos this week, after doing more spending but, silly me, I took everything over to Dairy House and forgot to take the photos while I was there. I won't be going over again now until after the wedding, by which time there will be other photos to post!! Oooh, no, I've just remembered ... I have a couple of interesting things in the car ... I'll take some piccies now, but you'll have to be patient as I shall have to take great care going downstairs so I don't fall, as the bottom of my shoes are still shiny (I might even give you a glimpse of my shoes! They look so good with my check cotton trousers (not!) bought from here that I feel you should be able to share the experience!). I must be getting used to them though, because I haven't knocked over the waste basket today!




Look at this fabulous unfinished handstitched Victorian quilt . The central area is made up of tiny hexagons - the sides of each measure 14mm or 9/16ths of an inch. It is all superbly done. It's such a shame it wasn't finished. There are a lot of loose pieces of fabric with it so perhaps someone will buy it in total when I take it to Shepton next weekend. I'd love to keep it, but that's not an option.




The set of drawers are for me - for the time being. I'm hoping I can at last get my sewing bits and bobs settled in one place and these drawers will be perfect. Probably not large enough, but good to be going on with!



Talking of sewing - when I was rummaging in the store last week I found a couple of lavender sacks I made a few years ago, got inspired, and came home to make some more. They're very plain and simple as I'm afraid I don't do fiddly very well. I used some of my vintage fabric stash for the fronts and cut up a damaged mangle cloth for the backs. They're simply tied with vintage silky tape so that they can be hung from a hanger (or anywhere for that matter). They're currently pinned on to Daphne, the larger of the two mannequins. I thought I might take them to the next Shepton Fair just in case someone likes them!



Can you see the Rowntrees toffee tin decorated with pansies? I was rather pleased when I spied that.


Once again I'm photographing everything IN the car rather than taking it out and displaying it beautifully, so the dark patches are the shadow cast by the up-and-over garage door, or possibly the back door of the car. Sorry, but I'm doing as little walking about as possible!!


Enjoy a jolly, sunny weekend!

25 comments:

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Hello! I just Love your blog! I am so glad you came over to say hello! What great finds you have and I am so in love with those drawers! They are perfect for all of your sewing supplies. It is funny you posted that because I am on a mission for something just like that for mine!

Have a great day! By the way, I love the picture of the mannequins in the garden..so cute! I have one named Lily..I will have to post a pic of her soon.

Heather

OhSoVintage said...

Smart shoes! I love those drawers too. I made a hexagon patterned patchwork quilt all stitched by hand in my early twenties and all the materials I used had significant meaning. Unfortunately I decided to sell it to an antique shop several years later and now do regret not keeping it. You must be getting so excited about the wedding and we all await the photos on your blog.

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Sue,

I love the quilt!

But I really love the shoes!! Hope they prove very comfortable as they're gorgeous!

Hope you've made plenty of lavender sacks as I'd like a few please!

Clare x

Shropshire Girl said...

Gosh what gorgeous shoes, you must have very elegant feet to be able to wear them, even if they are a bit tight at the moment. If I told you hubby calls mine hobbit feet then you know I can only drool over shoes like that!
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Those are some very sexy shoes Sue! I cant wait to see the whole outfit. Remember not to upstage the bride!

AC said...

Love your blog. I found you through Victoria May Plum's Village diary. I have added you to my link list.
Love the shoes:-)
Hope you have a great day!
Alison.

The fabric of my life said...

Fab shoes Sue, you are going to look gorgeous. Can't wait to see you in your complete outfit. Oh I bet you are sooooooooooo excited!

Lovely drawers, beautiful quilts and scrummy lavender bags :-)

Ragged Roses said...

Be careful in those shoes - they look gorgeous. Have you tried keying the soles of them so you don't slip! The quilt is beautiful - can't you keep it?! Good luck with the lavender sachets too!
Kim x

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Hi,
I wanted to stop by to thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog.
What a lovely site you have!
Love the blue drawers. I've been looking for something similar to hold all my little sewing things and vintage paper items.

Oh, and those are some great looking shoes. :)

Kimberly

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Those shoes are fabulous! Oh how exciting things must be your way!

andsewtosleep said...

I love those shoes - but ouch I feel your pain! That quilt is sooo beautiful. Mary

Lori said...

Hi!
Thank you so much for visiting my site. Love yours! Love the shoes!
Also love the mannequins - hoping to find one for my daughter's room to dress up and let her play around with.
Hope you had a nice wk.end

Lori

Victoria May Plum said...

Thankyou so much for leaving the first comment on my new blog, I've only just realised that I had 'comment moderation' enabled, but didn't even know it existed (technology is not by best subject)so I thought that nobody had read it. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to learn today that people had read it!
So thankyou thankyou thankyou!

p.s great name for a mannequin.
Nearly wedding time - how exciting!
Victoria x

Vintage to Victorian said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments. Just to update you, I managed to wear the shoes all afternoon - well over 4 hours, and could still walk afterwards! I paraded up and down the garden in them a few times, and spent quite an age standing folding the Order of Service sheets, so I think I'll be OK. I didn't practise wearing the hat though!

Kel said...

Congrats on wearing the shoes for four hours !!! :)
Love the sewing storage unit with all the little drawers, that will work great. So many fun finds. Thanks for the fun pictures, it's fun to see all the treasures.

Niki Fretwell said...

Love the shoes Sue!
Not sure I would EVER master walking in those!
Well done to you!

The quilt looks amazing. I love to look over and over patchwork quilts at each fabric, choosing favourites as I go....

Look forward to the waft of lavender coming from your pitch at Shepton!
Niki x

Shammickite said...

I love the shoes, and the fact that your feet didn't hurt after wearing them for 4 hours is a good sign! But I really think you should practise with both hat AND shoes, just to get the hang of being ladylike and making it look natural!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Hi! By our "coincidence" I bought myself a set of drawers this weekend, too! We DO have similar tastes.

How exciting to have the wedding coming up. Make SURE to enjoy each and every moment. Just think "enjoy this moment" lots of times during the day. Stand still and drink it all in. (nobody cares if your hat is on slanted!:)

All the other stuff doesn't matter, just commit each precious special thing to memory. I did that when my daughter got married, and surprisingly, I remember almost all of it!

I so hope it will be one of those most wonderful days for you. xo Lidy ps. love the shoes.

Marilyn in NM said...

I just found your blog and love it! The quilt is fantastic! I also think the shoes are very cool! I would die in them but they sure look fab on your feet!
Again, great blog & I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

Just came over to visit after you left a comment on my blog - it's great discovering more English bloggers.

By the way I love your shoes and the set of drawers.

photowannabe said...

Love your shoes. You will be a knock out at the wedding, being upstaged only by the bride.
Love your blog.

david santos said...

Thanks for you work, and have a good day

Amy said...

I DO like your shoes! And that Victorian quilt is So making me drool!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments - do you have a shop in Somerton? maybe I could look you up when I go by sometime - I love antique textiles but sadly can't afford them so that's why I tend to make my own :o)

YankeeQuilter said...

Wonderful shoes! The shoes I wore at my wedding were the most comfortable I ever owned...but how often do you have the chance to wear blush-pink raw silk heels with a bow on them?!

Love the quilt top! Where is this show you are doing?