02 April 2007

Our Day Out!

First of all, thanks to everyone for your good wishes on our 30th WA, and also to everyone who has commented on my other posts this past week. Life continues to be fairly hectic so my apologies if I haven't reciprocated!

We did manage to get our day out as planned, and had a jolly journey on the West Somerset Railway (nice and warm), got blown about somewhat in Minehead (brrrrr!!!!!!), got warm again on the train, stopped off at Watchet (where, last time I visited there were 3 antique shops) and got really cold there, as the wind was quite biting by then. The antique shops were gone, or closed, and the museum was shut. We got back to the station just beating a slight shower and in the little shop I was pushed by a friendly ghost! I kid you not! I was pushed forward by something whooshing past my left calf. I thought it was a gust of wind like you get when a train rushes past, but there was no train. The lady behind the counter told me the shop was haunted and that often happens. She thinks it's a small child racing around. She's been aware of another (friendly) female presence, too. I wasn't worried by it at all, and she said it was only because the ghost liked me! I can live with that!

We got home about half past six, and rounded the day off with a meal at one of Somerton's hostelries. So all in all a nice, relaxing (albeit chilly) day.

Enjoy the journey with me ... the first slideshow is the outward journey to Minehead. (At least Pauley wasn't wearing an anorak, even if he was an avid trainspotter in his youth!).



This second slideshow is a selection of photos taken in Minehead and on the return journey (until the camera battery died!). There was a Continental Market in Minehead (see the sausages, bread and cakes). The last photo (which you may not be able to see clearly), is at Watchet and says "THE FAIR BREEZE BLEW. THE WHITE FOAM FROM THE FURROW FOLLOWED FREE". And the fair breeze did indeed blow!!



And 15lbs (a whole stone and a pound) have now blown away, too!

12 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

Sounds like you had a great, albeit chilly, weekend! Looks like fun, I love going on old railway lines. Hopefully the weather is going to warm up now!

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Sue,

What brilliant slideshows - great photos! Glad you both had a great day out. I love steam railways. We often travel on the one in the IOW. The last time we took the Boxing Day Special and enjoyed sherry and mince pies in our own carriage - brilliant! For anyone who loves nostalgia you can't beat the steam railway. Oh, and Mike was decorating 'The Moonraker' restaurant carriage of the Swindon Steam Railway just the other week!

Clare x

Shammickite said...

Ahhhhh primroses, lovely, we don't have fields and hedgerows with wild primroses here in Canada. I remember picking baskets of them as a child in Devon, putting them in bunches awith the leaves all around the edge, so beautiful. It really means spring to me!

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks for sharing your romantic trip!! The slide shows are great.

LOVE the eiderdown that I bought from you on Sunday. Look forward to rummaging though your wares this weekend too!

VERY well done with the diet. You are amazing!
Niki x

Cape Cod Washashore said...

VERY lovely slideshows! We have a train on Cape Cod that only does tourist trips and also serves in the evenings as a dinner train. It is the closest to what I remember when taking the trains in England. Now I have the bug to go back to England BADLY!!! heehee Have a wonderful Easter holiday!

The fabric of my life said...

Lovely slide shows Sue. I grew up around the railway between Taunton and Minehead. It was unused then and my sister and I used to play with our friends in an old railwayman's hut up on the disused line. We used to go to Minehead often in the summer holidays for day trips and I remember Blue Anchor Bay too. In the summer of 1976 (that very hot one) we got bitten to bits by ladybirds (who seemed to have gone mad that year) at Blue Anchor Bay.

Great ghost story :-)


Oh and glad you liked my flickr photos. You'll have to come rummage sometime.

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Hi!

It is such a pleasure to read your blog! I really enjoyed the photos of your day out. Have a happy Easter weekend :-)

-Jenny

photowannabe said...

Your day sounds like fun inspite of the chilly blasts. When you are with the one you love anyplace is just fine.

Gypsy Purple said...

Wishing you and your family a happy and blessed Easter

andsewtosleep said...

Glad you had a lovely day - with an extra visitor too!! Mary

Anonymous said...

You had a wonderful time. The pics are great, thank you for putting them into a fancy slideshow for us.

Congratulations on thirty years.

Cherry xx

Livvy and Me said...

Lovely photos of your weekend, and I am stunned by pictures of the Ilminster textiles fair. I am new to Wiltshire so will be keeping an eye out for those good tips, thank you!

Jennifer