13 December 2008

Times Past, Floods and Giant Fleas ...

Another bizarre mixture!

I was emptying a box of photos lurking behind the sofa and found this one. Meet Rosie Meager ... she was the most human dog I've ever known. Click to enlarge - and see right to her soul through those eyes!



Hannah and I watched her birth in 1987 and after the required time Pauley brought her home - much to Han's surprise and excitement. Rosie lived to the ripe old age of 13½ when a stroke sadly ended her life. We were so lucky that Hannah had come over to see us that day and so we were all there together. Sorry - this isn't meant to be a tear-jerker. I just thought you might like to meet her.
At around 10.30 every evening Rosie would come and sit in front of us and wag her tail. "Put the kettle on, Rose" one of us would say, and she'd rush to the kitchen and sit at the spot where the kettle lived on the worktop, waiting for one of us to make a cuppa. She loved tea - water from the kettle, a spot of milk and a quick whizz round her bowl with a teabag! I'm sure that's what kept her coat so glossy. I would always have to take my turn (second) and Rosie and I would try and get in front of one another in the queue when Pauley made the tea. Thinking back now it was hilarious, but at the time I have to say I often got quite miffed that Rosie was given hers before I got mine!! If we had visitors she would grin like mad when they arrived, and her whole body would wag with her tail! The words "Grin, grin!" would set her off again. She was such a joy and we still miss her. But times move on, and much as Pauley would like another dog I doubt if we shall have one. Hannah and Rob have tried to persuade us several times that we should have another, but we're not convinced. Our lives are so different now.


So ... floods! Last week I showed you the amazing icicles in the hedgerow where the floods has splashed up onto the verge and frozen. Today East Somerset was on alert and there were suggestions that one shouldn't set off on a journey unless it was essential. I sat for half an hour on the A303 this morning en route to Dairy House, waiting to drive through this flood.

I'd passed so many waterlogged fields up to this point, but here the fields just couldn't take any more and the water came gushing through the gateway and the base of the hedge onto the road ...

down the hill to the dip, where it spread ... and spread ... into a pond! As it was a stretch of dual carriageway you can imagine the bedlam. Cars swapping from one lane to another, people getting irritated, and one of us just taking a few photos to blog about!!! I was 15 minutes late opening up. Hopefully we didn't lose any customers! Several customers later in the day told me they'd had to turn back on some of the country lanes and find alternative routes.







And finally ... it's the Giant Flea Market at Shepton Mallet (Bath & West Showground) tomorrow. I imagine the carpark will be waterlogged and that cars will be moved to hard ground. I wonder how many outdoor pitches there will be. If the rain in Shepton Mallet was anything like it was when Somerset was flooded earlier in the year, the showground could be awash. Not that I'm trying to put anyone off. Just make sure you wear your wellies! There will at least be 2 stalwarts there ... The Washerwoman and Vintage to Victorian. We'll be geared up, set up and ready to greet all the happy shoppers at 9.30 am!!!


Have a lovely Sunday whatever you decide to do. I guess we'll be seeing a few of you at the Flea!

1 comment:

Monica said...

Hi Sue! What about the dog? Touching, especially as I love dogs very much. The portrait is so precious...

As for the Giant Flea, I wish I could live closer!!! Can't wait to see your pictures of it!

Monica x.