06 August 2007

Can you Believe It?

I've just seen on the local news that the cattle from Surrey with suspected foot and mouth have come to Frome in Somerset to be slaughtered. How ridiculous is that? Did I hear right? Must have done because they were filming at the cattle market which was empty today - and which is usually bustling.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if there is to be no movement of cattle, as before, why are they being transported halfway across the country to die, when those that are healthy have to stay where they are?

My apologies if this upsets anyone, but I find this whole thing quite ridiculous. Surely it's asking for trouble. I feel for the poor farmers who are just getting back on their feet after the awful outbreak in 2002. It's only in the last 12 months or so that we've begun to see good large herds of cattle in our fields again. And for what? It makes you wonder, doesn't it. I don't usually get on my high horse, but there are times ...

4 comments:

Leanne said...

I too am flabberghasted at this sue

beggars belief doesnt it?

Anonymous said...

We get really hot under the collar about this too - is all this slaughter really necessary? I saw a farmer in tears on the news last night, it breaks my heart. Surely there has to be a better way?

MissKris said...

I take care of my little grandson on a daily basis and I often wonder as I'm feeding him just what it is that's going in to his mouth!!! Is there anything out there that's truly REAL and healthy anymore, that hasn't been altered by chemicals or genetics?? Doesn't matter whether it's animal or plant anymore, either, does it?? Hope this finds you well!!

Liz said...

You're completely right. There has to be an argument for emergency regulations which allow on-farm slaughter; I know there are a limited number of incinerators available, but if the animals can be killed on their original farm and then transported in properly sealed vehicles, the risk of transmission has to be reduced, surely? I'm not happy in general with the loss of small abattoirs; bt this really is ridiculous.