22 April 2009

Blue Grass and Apple Blossom ...

This year we have blue grass in our back garden ...





... speedwell, to be precise! It came from nowhere, as these things do ... the grass (nothing so grand as a lawn) in the front was white ... white violets that just happened to be passing and decided to stay. They were a real surprise and a lovely treat to think they'd chosen us to live with.


I'm afraid we're not very good with our fruit trees, they either flower and have fruit or they don't, and one of our plum trees is hanging in there supported by seemingly only half a trunk of bark, with its innards totally rotted. By rights we should have removed it last year, but there's something so final about chopping down a fruit tree. I'd rather see every last blossom that it can muster and let it finish its disintegration unaided.


The apple blossom is beginning to look good though ...





Hopefully I'll bring you cowslips next time! There are so many along the verges again this year as I travel between home and Dairy House. Needless to say the best clumps are along the A303 nowhere near a safe stopping place ...
(If you have time do click and enlarge the photos - the apple blossom looks fabulous on a full screen.)

11 comments:

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Sue,
Aren't we having THE most perfect spring this year? Its such a joy to relish every new bud opening in the gardens and hedgerows just now...
Your apple blossoms are particularly lovely,
Niki x

Sal said...

As Niki says,it is the most perfect spring ..and aren't the blossoms so lovely this year?!
Hope you are well ;-)

Clare said...

What lovely photos. I love this time of year when everything springs back to life.

Redwoodhouse said...

Hi Sue, the apple blossom pictures are beautiful, it is so nice to have the sunshine to enjoy being outside, perfect gardening temperature.
The house is a bit of a tip though!!!!
Jan

Anonymous said...

I wish there were cowslips near where I live, I long to make cowslip wine!

http://melaniegalloway.info/

Anonymous said...

I hope you dont mind, but I've added your blog onto my blogroll on my site.

Take Care
Melanie

photowannabe said...

I know what you mean about cutting down a fruit tree being so final. I guess that's why our long gone cherry tree is still in our back garden.

lettuce said...

hello

sorry I've not been here for so long.

I love speedwell! i don't think I have any in the garden just now, but its one of my favourite flowers

Lots of crab apple blossom though, full of bees.

lovely lovely pictures, isn't it lovely to have such a sunny spring?

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hi Sue!
I'm catching up with everyone who's shown an interest in the bloggers afternoon tea! How about sometime in the second half of June? Maybe you could leave a comment over at mine, it will come through to my email first and then I can get back to everyone. Let me know what suits you - weekdays? weekends? location?
Thanks! Have a good weekend!
Denise

the homely year said...

Just lovely...the blossom is a joy to behold right now.
Margaret and Noreen

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hello Sue
Spring sprung in spectacular fashion this year.. I can never decide which season I love the most but I am so fond of all the beautiful fresh flowers and foliage of this time of year..
Took some fab sky photos for you the other day... must send them to you.. along with a very belated Easter greeting!!
Love
Michele xx